Monday, May 25

New Efforts

Here goes. I will use this site as a diary, of sorts. A way to keep my brain moving and sharp. A way to think through things and keep my mind clean. Thoughts on computer, not muddled up in head making me insane.

This morning while making my handsome husband (he did look very handsome this morning, by the way in his blue work shirt, sparkling blue eyes and tan slacks) breakfast and coffee (a daily ritual for me now- how domestic), I was listening to a few NPR stories. Two struck me as worth briefly mentioning:

1) The Recession Diary
A clip on a couple who choose to follow their artistic passions to make a living: one as a freelance commercial photographer, and the other a writer/publisher for public radio stations. They moved to Los Angeles from Maine to make a go at it and had a child. Now, with the child two months old, they were forced to return to Maine (via car with a baby, 90 lb dog and what few belongings they could take with them) to live with the wife's mother. They needed to get their feet back on the ground. They were broke and not able to get work. The story struck me because of the wife's ability to keep the writing and the article light and positive despite the dire circumstances. She was able to focus on the important things- their health, their new beautiful child, and what the situation was bringing them. It was giving them a new sense of family and values. They were becoming more dependent on and very close to one another... and to their parents who were so happy to have them back in Maine and in their lives again. It made me think about me and Mike's situation right now: it is tough. It's a lot of transition and change for both of us. I can't work here. My career is put on hold and it's a lot of stress for us. But in reality, what an amazing opportunity. We live in ITALY. I have time to THINK about what I want. I am blessed with an unbelievable man who loves me and whom I have a spectacular connection with. Who is smart and loving and thoughtful. We are blessed, lucky and so much better off than most. Positivity and keeping the sunny outlook on things is the key, I think. And it's my new initiative.

Here's the story:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=104131481

Their actual blog:
http://caitdangowest.squarespace.com/

2) Behavioral Economics
I had never heard this term before this morning, but I like it. Last night at dinner (Mike's Mom is visiting so he made us some DELICIOUS pasta for dinner last night and we were chatting over the meal with his Mom and Sheryl, her friend also visiting). We were discussing economic responsibility. What can be done to change people's responsibility level when it comes to making fiscal decisions: consumer spending, debt, credit cards, and loans. The piece on NPR referenced the Obama administration and it's emphasis on "Behavioral Economics": enforcing regulations that will help to change people's economic behavior as opposed to just enforcing laws to limit/restrict spending. "Behavioral economics is one of the most important fields to help us understand what motivates people to do what they do when they buy, sell, or otherwise interact with one another in both social and market environments."
For example, the Obama administration is enforcing a new rule for credit card companies: Included in monthly statements, the credit companies must also print how long it would take consumers to pay off their debt if they paid only the minimum balance due ever month. Mike made a good point this morning, this implies that the problem with the consumer is lack of information/education as opposed to deeper routed social problem with wanting too much. I think it is both. I think people aren't given the tools they need to truly understand financial instruments such as loans and credit card debt, but I also think it is society reconfirming that "more is better" and "more is happiness". The administration can enforce regulations to help with the first fix: give the tools!. But how do we fix the second problem? Do you really NEED that car you can't afford? Or should you be investing the $300 month extra you pay on that super nice BMW to a college fund for your child and paying off the 8k you have in credit card debt so your interest payments come down and you're able to be more fiscally responsible to yourself, your family and your community? How do we balance the want and the need? How do we change THIS mindset? I guess I can start with myself. Additional new effort: buy what I NEED, not what I WANT.

No comments:

Post a Comment